Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Re: Any tips on dealing with reducing DSLR macro-blocking artifacts?

COW Forums : Apple Color

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: Any tips on dealing with reducing DSLR macro-blocking artifacts?
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:01:43 pm

I was invited to do a one-day seminar at a local University in the subject area of codecs, last year.

It was a total waste of time. I somehow got the erroneous impression that it was for the "film" students, but it turns out the institution offered it to the general public, and a few people attended, but not one person from their program showed up. The point to all this?

During the course of the day, I learned a few things (not that surprising), among them; everyone assumes that what the camera produces is what is being recorded (not even close to being true), and this stuff (meaning recording strategy and codecs) is not being taught, in any form. How many of us have had to patiently explain that someone's "24P" footage is actually pulldown 2997? Show of hands?

I realize that a solid understanding of optimal quantized storage would involve some, what is academically classed as "communication theory", in the sense of applied science/engineering, and not everyone really needs to know what the Nyquist threshold is, or why it is the core criterion for aliasing, but....

Come on, not knowing what "ink" is confounds me when someone claims to be a writer.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]