Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Re: Any Pro Colorists Using Apple Color?

COW Forums : Apple Color

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: Any Pro Colorists Using Apple Color?
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:00:10 pm

[Illya Laney] "Cost is king and producers care more about saving money than what system you're using.
"

Whether you're a staffer or an owner, we're still all connected by cashflow, and one of the primary lessons that you have to absorb, especially as an owner is that , yes, cash is king. No question.

I spent 11 years on a daVinci system starting with a Classic -- you know, the one with one [square] window, no softness, no qualified primaries... Even from an 8:8:8, the jump to Final Touch was liberating -- 8 fully correctable secondary tabs! A tracker (well, that works sometimes)... in-app FX treatments... LUT loader! Global Primary Out! Reconform! woo hoo!

At the moment, I'm turning around a comedy series. Each 23 minute show is about 4-5 hours in grade -- its sketch-based, so each segment has its own look plus some recurring ones that we keep from show to show, plus a one-off music video that has to stand by itself. Its becoming routine. Four years ago, I would never have believed it. Last week's show came in riddled with nested sequences, variable speeds, stills, was a combination of 1080i2997 and 720P60/23.98 -- > even last year that would have been fatal. But its still not what explains why and how we're doing the job in an Apple-flow.

Consumers buy "benefits". Not "features". This is the first rule of sales.
As operators, we get distracted by the bells and whistles that are considered important by nobody but us. Sure, *this operation* is superior in X application than Y software because of some reason or other -- they all have strengths and weakness, after all they are human constructs -- but this is utterly irrelevant when it hits the big blender that is the entertainment distribution network, whether it is broadcast, internet, disk, or chiseled clay tablets.

Paint brush is a paint brush -- depends who's swinging it.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]