Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Re: Color not as sharp as FCP

COW Forums : Apple Color

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardiRe: Color not as sharp as FCP
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:47:02 pm

[Roger Tully] "I then batch trans-code them to ProRes 422 (HQ) at 1920x1080 using MPEG StreamClip before I inport them to FCP"

I would use Compressor before I used MPEG-Streamclip for this. MPEG Streamclip is fine for ripping DVD files, but I don't think it's as good for HD files.

There's also Telestream Episode Pro that we also use here and it has infinitely more controls than Compressor allowing us to tweak image settings even further.

But since you're starting out H.264, any conversion you make will most likely result in a softening of the image. It's missing a lot of information to keep the file sizes small so when you convert to something else, you're likely going to lose some more information and sometimes this results in an image appearing to soften. That's really the disadvantage of any camera that shoots native H.264 derivatives.

What happens when you export the file in full quality from FCP and then open that file in Quicktime Player? Does it appear sharper than it did in FCP? As others have noted, you absolutely 100% cannot trust the FCP Viewer or Canvas for final quality. it's designed to work with an external monitor. But Quicktime Player does generally show you the full quality as it would appear on a website.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]