Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Re: Greetings and questions from a newby

COW Forums : Apple Color

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: Greetings and questions from a newby
by on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:33:06 am

I have a similar background and let's just say it was a little bit convoluted getting to where I am now, and probably a different person from that guy five years ago.

If you have no editing experience, that is going to be a very significant hurdle. COLOR is almost utterly dependent on the FCP roundtrip, and although the latest version has made significant strides towards making that workflow more transparent, to a certain extent that will make the various import/export failures just that much more mystifying. Lord knows that Final Touch was so balky at the slightest deviation from the proscribed preparation that it sort of made it easier -- you did it their way or the highway. If it started at all, you were probably on your way.

Troubleshooting skills are absolutely indispensable, and those usually only come with experience.

That being said, COLOR is in use in some very surprising places, and it is absolutely being used to deliver some very high profile programming. In the end, it will always come down to who is wielding the weapon... an experienced and talented race car driver is always going to wipe up the floor with a weekend gokart warrior. That is just a fact of life.

In the end, a professional colorist should be able to achieve the same end result no matter what the platform is -- and I can guarantee that COLOR is at least as capable of putting an image on the monitor and will be indistinguishable from any of the other major correction systems. It may not do it in exactly "real" time... and so we don't charge $1500/hour for that.

COLOR will require you to be more than someone sitting at a console making pretty pictures. That's the trade off.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]