Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Anyone still using Beta SP?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sarah MemilyAnyone still using Beta SP?
by on Jun 23, 2007 at 4:38:41 am

Hi there,

I work at a tiny TV station that uses Beta SP (mostly BVW-70s) for archiving and airing our local productions. But I'm wondering, in this age of digital and HD wonders: what are other stations using? Is anyone else still using Beta SP?
We have a good-sized fleet of decks (though many are out of service for one reason or another and I worry that the others will soon fail as well) and all of our stock video is archived on Beta SP, as well as our library of completed programs. However, upon asking if we can repair the broken decks, the higher-ups tell me that they don't want to dump money into an obsolete system...so they want me to come up with an inexpensive, logical alternative to transition to. Personally, I think that if we had a dedicated engineer who enjoyed working on these sorts of things, we could maintain our functional decks, canibalize our existing broken decks as needed, and get at least another five years out of them without any real cost, but perhaps I'm naive.
We shoot on Ikegami Editcams (the digital irony doesn't escape me), but since they're tapeless, I feel that having a tape-based means of archiving is all the more important (am I wrong not to trust a hard-drive-based system?).

While I'm researching...what do you think?

Thanks a bunch for any input you care to provide!

Sarah

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]