Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Re: Digital Video?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John RofranoRe: Digital Video?
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:38:05 pm

[Ilkka Aaltonen] " I'm trying to decide in Vegas which field order I use for interlaced video. However, now I've started to think that how do I know which of my videos are DV and which are not? ...or maybe they are all DV, I don't know. That's why I need help."
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

First there is the field order of your project. This should be set to match the field order of your final output. You didn't say what the output was going to be but whatever it is, make sure that they match.

Then there is the field order of the media. You don't get to decide this. It is what it is and you should never change it unless Vegas has interpreted it incorrectly. Usually this is determined by the capture device and codec. If the codec is DV, the filed order will be Lower Field First. If the codec is something like M-JPEG, the field order could be Upper Field First, it depends on how it was captured. The bottom line is, it doesn't matter. Vegas takes care of all of this for you.

Last thing to remember is if you want your output to be progressive, and any of your source footage is interlaced, you MUST set the Deinterlace Method in the project properties to either Blend Fields or Interpolate. I would keep it at Blend Fields, which is the default, unless you have a good reason to switch it to Interpolate Fields because of interlace artifacts. Never, ever, never set it to None if you are working with interlaced footage.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask more questions.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Digital Video? by Ilkka Aaltonen on Aug 19, 2012 at 10:36:47 am
    • Re: Digital Video? by John Rofrano on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:38:05 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter