Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Re: Poor man's hd video card - Canon footage?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John RofranoRe: Poor man's hd video card - Canon footage?
by on May 11, 2011 at 3:01:08 am

[Thoreau Bakker] "- I've read that vegas does support some kind of acceleration for Invidia cards only? (Cuda?)"
Yes, it supports acceleration for rendering only and only in the Sony AVC format (nothing else) and most tests have showed that it is actually slower than a modern CPU. So unless you have a very old CPU, the GPU will not be faster.
[Thoreau Bakker] "- I am running Vegas Pro 10, and when I open even a small clip (10 seconds), and press play, there is a good 10 second pause before the video starts playing back. When it plays back, it does so smoothly, but any stop / start creates the same pause"
Yup. You won't see this pause if you use CineForm.
[Thoreau Bakker] "- if my system specs are ok, and then video card has no effect on the playback, then how come some people are able to get decent .mov .264 performance with Vegas 10?"
All h.264 MOV files are not created equal. I get very smooth playback from my little Kodak Zi8 files. Some Canon files and other files... not so much.
[Thoreau Bakker] "- are you sure my video card is not a problem? (acceleration etc etc etc)"
Well, it doesn't have a lot of CUDA cores if that's what you're asking. If you were to buy a plug-in like Boris Continuum Complete (BCC7) for Vegas Pro 10, then I'd say get a better graphics card. Minimum would be a GeForce 9800GT or equivalent. But for just Vegas Pro alone, don't waste your money.
[Thoreau Bakker] "I will buy NeoScene if that's the only option, but if I could up my video card or tweak something else and get these files to play ball with drag and drop, I'd be really really excited."
I would be excited too... I just dropped $800 on an NVDIA Quadro 4000, and I get about the same performance as my old $99 GeForce 9800GT! I'm thinking of sending the Quadro back and getting a GTX460 instead. Like I said, I would not go spending a lot of money on a graphics card for Vegas. It would be better spend on a faster CPU with more cores.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]