Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Re: CMYK 300 dpi image, not actual size at 100%

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron LindeboomRe: CMYK 300 dpi image, not actual size at 100%
by on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:13:48 am

Hello Carin,

The reason this happens is because your computer's monitor is defaulted to 72dpi in RGB color space. Nearly everyone's is. In fact, 300dpi monitors are something that I have never seen in my production career. Maybe someone else uses them, like most when I work on magazines, etc., that are 300dpi CMYK projects, I am looking at them at 72dpi on an RGB screen that is calibrated to give me a very close onscreen example to what I am going to get when it prints. (The new issue of Creative COW Magazine is spot on and the printer handed me magazines that are nearly identical to what I see on my screen in InDesign.)

So, basically the issue of the 300-to-72 translation means that it is not a 1-to-1 pixel ratio and so you will not see your 100% setting return a correct "ruler size" when you look at it on the screen. It will be roughly 4-times or so the size you expect to see.

We all get that. It's a pain but you get used to it.

If someone has a solution I am all ears, oh except for all my other organs and extremities, etc.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]