Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Mixed formats, sizes, fields to DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index

Jack BonnettMixed formats, sizes, fields to DVD
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:19:49 pm

Hi there all,

This is a bit of a cross between a DVD Studio Pro and a FCP question I think but I'll put it here as FCP is what I currently have open in front of me!

I have been asked to create a looping PAL DVD to play out through a projector at a conference. The DVD will consist of a variety of already created assets and provide a bit of background interest. Now my question is that the assets I have been given and created are in a variety of different formats. Some are DV PAL, lower field, some are 1080i Upper Field, I assume this was shot 50i but I'm not sure, and some are 1080p25.

Added to this I also know from experience that some of the DVPAL footage hasn't been checked through an interlaced monitor and so I'm a bit concerned about muddled fields in a couple of the DV pieces.

So based on this nice variety of formats I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what they think is the best way to get these onto a DVD?

So far I was thinking of running all the HD files through Compressor to downscale them to SD keeping the native fields so that I can make the MPEG2s from these as I've had problems with Compressor and Episode downscaling and compressing at the same time in the past.

Should I then just make a progressive MPEG2 of everything? I know that it's not ideal but I don't really have time to do the downconversions AND check all the DV files for field dominance issues and correct them with the razor blade and shift fields filter and finish the other edits I've got on at the moment.

So I guess after all that the question is quite simple is my best bet to use Compressor and or Episode to make a deinterlaced progressive DVD from the files that I have been given in order to avoid any issues with field dominance OR could I keep the interlaced files that I know are OK interlaced (some are upper field and some are lower field) and deinterlace the problematical ones and then keep the progressive files progressive? Will all these different formats and fields make for a messy DVD?

Sorry it's a bit long winded but thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

Posts Index
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Mixed formats, sizes, fields to DVD by Jack Bonnett on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:19:49 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]