Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: So you like FCP then?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RendellRe: So you like FCP then?
by on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:51:42 am

Quite a few of the things I like about FCP7 are also things that I like about Avid (I own and use both).

I can cut quickly, without having to use any of my brain space thinking about the equipment.

I feel confident that I can do whatever I'm asked to do, whether it's some tricksy editing flash that a director has seen somewhere and wants me to replicate, down to giving a researcher an edl of just the music tracks for them to sort out the clearances.

As a freelancer I frequently cut on my own gear but I don't own pro decks or high grade monitoring, so I can take my project on a hard drive to a local facility for ingesting from and playing out to tape, colour grading (whether I do it myself or use an experienced colorist), transfer the audio into Pro Tools with the tracks already layed out sensibly for the dubbing mixer, that kind of thing.

I also get quite a lot of work using other people's gear (mainly at production companies or facilities) because what I've got is the same as what they have, i.e., FCP7 or Avid, so they trust me with it.

I'm quite happy to admit that my choice of what kit to use is much more driven by what pays and what makes my life easier, rather than what I like. I've learned quite a few systems in my time and I expect to have to learn a few more before I'm finished, but that's fine because I don't really care that much about the kit (I care about using pictures and sound to tell stories). The kit is a tool to do a job for me so I don't invest emotional capital in it, I take it seriously because it enables me to do what I want to do.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]