Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Connecting monitor to Mac Pro to work with FCP suite

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Roth WeissRe: Connecting monitor to Mac Pro to work with FCP suite
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 5:30:27 pm

Jim,

FCP is a professional video non-linear editing system. It's not for everyone, and no one ever said professional video was easy, except maybe the guy you spoke with at the Apple Store. That's why he's at the Apple Store and not working in the television and film industry.

In any case, with your big investment behind you, you're in for the duration now, so get over thinking like you're on a PC, that was just kid stuff -- FCP on your new MacPro is the real deal and it's going to require that you focus forward and really learn video, otherwise you're going to get stuck and find yourself with a $6500 torture machine.

Also, it really helps if you learn and use proper terminology so you can get things straight in your mind and so you can converse accurately with those of us who want to help you. I used the term I/O card earlier for a reason -- I/O cards have both input and output capabilities, so whenever discussing them you always picture a pipeline in and a pipeline out. However, that does not mean that you have to use it's input capabilities, you can still use firewire and many still do just that, but it does have the input capabilities. For the record, many who have I/O cards use them only for their accurate display capability, never using them for input or output to tape at all, because viewing an accurate representation of your video is the single most important thing there is in editing. If you're going to spend days and weeks doing this stuff you do want to know what you're really doing, right?

BTW, in the future, phone a value added reseller (VAR) such as Promax, Safe Harbor, or even The Video Guys and discuss your needs before buying hardware, the geniuses at the Apple Store are not really geniuses, that's just sales tool. VARs know much more about video and they will steer you in the right direction before selling things to you, because they have to take them back if they sell you the wrong thing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]