Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

.WMV gamma and aspect ratio

COW Forums : Compression techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index

Bob Cole.WMV gamma and aspect ratio
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:37:18 pm

I edit on Macs, and often output to .wmv for corporate clients. This post addresses the old dilemma, of trying to deal with the fact that PCs have widely different display characteristics.

I'm familiar with the old problem of different gammas on PCs and Macs. Now that that discrepancy has supposedly been resolved, I've still seen a difference in the way the PCs and Macs that I own will display video.

My Mac monitor is carefully calibrated; my PCs are not, but they do seem to display most YouTube videos rather well. Yet I have found that when I create .wmv files, it is necessary to create an image that is rather high-key on the Mac, in order for it to appear bright enough on the PC.

I test using three or for different PCs, running Windows XP and Windows 7. They run from a little bit darker than the Mac to quite a bit darker. But one of the PCs (running Windows Media 9) for some reason displays my 640x360 video as if it were more like 800x360 -- it "anamorphizes" a video which doesn't need to be made anamorphic.

I would appreciate any insights into (1) how to prep video for PCs and (2) how to keep Windows Media from displaying my video anamorphically.

Thanks for your help.

Bob C

Posts Index
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • .WMV gamma and aspect ratio by Bob Cole on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:37:18 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]