Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: Help required for animation workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Will SnowRe: Help required for animation workflow
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 3:52:00 pm

Does this mean that in the film-out the film is sped back up to true 24 frames/sec?

Crikey, you've got me thinking now. Don't quote me, but I think there are two scanning stages: stage one, where the negative of all the rushes (or maybe just the selected takes) are scanned at 2k. These will then be the digital master image sequences. I believe these will be have a framerate of 24fps.

Then, once the final cut has been done, and all digital effects composited in, and the DI grade has been completed, it is then outputted as a master digital image sequence (in .dpx format) which is then printed out to film (at 24fps).

Then for the DVD etc, that master image sequence is probably 'slowed down' to a 23.976 rate for pulldown, and sped up for 25fps.

But I am by no means certain. Of course, for a film that is actually cut from the negative itself, like they used to do, the final master would have to be scanned in for pulldown etc etc.

I think...

Everything is interchangeable I guess, but it's about the ease and cost of the changes. 23.976 is the easiest for change, 25fps the least so (it seems).

Generally, whenever anyone mentions 24p (especially in the digital domain) they are either knowingly or unknowingly referring to or meaning 23.976.

I assumed the studio feature I worked on was 24p, until I was told it's 23.976.

I would be very careful about DVDs being able to play progressively. That bit from Wiki only mentions HDTVs and probably is on about rather high spec players. I think it's always best to think of a low tech end user that has a bog standard player with a bog standard tv, and just wants a bog standard DVD that will work on it.

But I don't know enough about DVDs to be able to be sure.

If I'm just working with a single hand-drawn, frame-by-frame source and using After Effects only for color and stuff, and I maintain a consistent frame rate... technically, I should be able to use any frame rate, right as long as I can convert to other formats later?

I think that TV Paint program is the place where you set you're framerate. I dunno, I'm getting a bit confused with all this myself now. Instead of adding to the confusion, I'll just keep quiet.

23.976 seems like the safest bet. That's the main thing.

W:)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]