Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: CS6 extruded text and shapes - Adding effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: CS6 extruded text and shapes - Adding effects?
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:21:39 pm

[Colin Carver] "The new feature in CS6 to be able to import vector images and make them into true 3D layers is pretty impressive, but for the life of me I can't figure out to apply certain effects to these layers. For example, how can I apply a directional blur to one of these ray-traced layers? If I do it the normal way, nothing happens. Is it because of the 3D properties? of the layer Will I have to render out the animation and then apply the blur to that?"

Ray tracing [link] is a technique for simulating how light (rays) bounces off of objects (geometry & materials) before hitting our eyes (camera). A ray tracing renderer starts at the camera and works backwards, tracing rays out of the camera, following the ones that intersect and bounce off of objects (over a specified number of reflections) to their origins in a light source. The light source and the properties of the materials its rays hit affect both affect the appearance of the image.

Effects like directional blur are 2D image manipulations. Because they calculate pixels, not geometry or light interactions, they don't make sense in the context of ray tracing.

From Creating beveled and extruded text and shape layers [link]:
These new 3D objects are based on the geometry of swept surfaces, which is a radical departure from the pixel-based text and shapes in the Classic 3D renderer. As such, masking, effects, and track mattes don't make sense when applied to geometry. The geometrical properties of text and shapes are preserved, so character styles like kerning, font size, and subscript are supported.

To combine pixel-based effects with ray-traced objects, you'll have to do as you've suggested -- treat the ray-traced comp as a 2D/2.5D source in a Classic 3D comp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter