Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: CC Sphere: pin 3D-layer to specific point on a sphere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John CuevasRe: CC Sphere: pin 3D-layer to specific point on a sphere
by on May 25, 2012 at 11:59:55 am

Create your CC sphere layer and set up the layer but leave it in the center of the comp.

Add a null object to your comp and turn on it's 3d switch. Open the rotation properties of the Null, enable an expression for XYZ rotation and pick-whip it to the CC Sphere's rotation and at the beginning of the expression add a minus sign(you want to the result to go backwards to match the rotation). Add and expression to the Null's position and pick whip that to the CC Sphere Offset so if you move the sphere your controller will follow.

Enable 3d for the CC sphere layer and ignore any warnings. Now just parent the layer you want to orbit the sphere(pinned to the sphere) to the Null.

You can even add a camera to the scene if and keep the sphere layer by using cntl+alt+o and change the sphere layers orientation to "Orient to camera" to avoid the postcards in space look.

I made a quick example project where you can see the results with and without a camera.
4202_exampleproject.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]