Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: 60fps slowmotion at varrying speed without juddering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ben BigelowRe: 60fps slowmotion at varrying speed without juddering?
by on May 6, 2012 at 7:17:34 am

So I might be totally wrong, in which case I would love your feedback. (I linked to another post you were commenting on, you know your stuff!)

Well...here is my logic:

The footage I'm working with are slow tracking shots of architectural exteriors that I shot with the DSLR attached to my car. I'm about 20 feet from the building, wide lens (18). When I say slow, the car is idling so an object takes about 10-20 seconds to move from the right side of the frame to the left. And the image is pretty high contrast with a good amount of detail (poles, signs, shopping carts, things with hard edges etc.)

So in the 30fps comp, when I'm time stretching at intervals that are not either 200% (60 slowed to 30) or 100% (60 playing every other frame), I'm getting judder similar sounding to the horizontal movement of a line across the fame that he talks about in the adobe post. Yes? No?

This quote sums it up: "The only speed where you'll get a nice solid line in every frame or field is one that is an exact multiple of the frame rate. IOW, 1 frame 1 pixel of movement, 1 frame 2 pixels of movement, and so on"

I think that is the issue combined with a cinematography issue that he also mentions: "One basic rule of thumb that almost always works is the "Seven Second Rule." If it takes 7 seconds for the key element in your scene to move from one side of the screen to the other your shot will probably work."

Does this make sense? I think I'm getting noticeable judder because of the type of imagery I'm using. If it were footage of a figure walking around in different directions or something less directional and constant, I don't think I would be having this trouble.

As I mentioned, I have to animate the speed over time between 200% stretch and 100%. I've resorted to playing with motion blurs, which so far I haven't gotten perfect. Is there another workflow you would suggest? Maybe use timewarp instead of time remapping? Real Smart Motion Blur?

Thanks for any input!!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]