Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: Rotating video without scaling.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Rotating video without scaling.
by on May 4, 2012 at 1:10:02 pm

[Steven Happel] "Sorry for the newbie question. I shot my video on a 5d Mark II, holding the camera like shooting a portrait, and so the video straight out of the camera is sideways. I want to rotate the video and do my color correction in after effects, but my 1920 x 1080 comp means that I have to scale the video way down to fit it. It feels like I'm losing most of the video as I scale down. "

Unless you're shooting for an installation with a vertical monitor, video is always landscape, not portrait.

Because you held the camera sideways, your video is now sideways. If you rotate the video on its side, the viewer would have to rotate their displays to see it correctly.

You can scale down to fit your video in a standard 1920x1080 frame, but your video will now be 608x1080, with with 656 blank pixels on each side. (This is called pillarboxing.)

You can place your 1080x1920 video within a 1280x720 comp, scale it up 18.5%, and crop off about two-thirds of the frame vertically. (This is called center cutting.)

Honestly, your best bet is probably to reshoot with the camera in the correct landscape orientation for standard video displays.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter