Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Creating an ocean of text... problems with Particular and Form

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris MellorCreating an ocean of text... problems with Particular and Form
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:00:56 pm

I am creating a sea of text, where the words flow up and down like subtle waves. It is in a 3d environment where a camera can dynamically move through them.
First, I tried this in Trapcode Form. The displacement map (a pre-comp with Fractal Noise) worked excellent, my only problem is that the particles (the words) won't orient along their path... the words do not rotate as they go up and down like waves. Doesn't look natural at all.
Second, I tried Particular because I knew that there is a "orient along path" option for particles... but now I cannot get my static sea of words to react to my "displacement map" layer. I don't think there is a way to displace the particles with a map layer within Particular.

So is there something I am missing within either of these two plugins? Can I auto-orient particles in Form, or create a 3d displacement map in Particular?

Or is my only option to use literal duplications of my word layers, hundreds of them, all dynamically linked via expressions?? If that is the case... is there a way to use a displacement map layer to offset the yPositions of hundreds of layers, so they appear to be waves of water, using expressions?

whew, I know that's a lot of questions... but you guys are always a huge help when I am in a bind.

Best,
Chris

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]