Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Re: Need suggestion on casting parallel light ray/beam

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John CuevasRe: Need suggestion on casting parallel light ray/beam
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:06:42 pm

I made some adjustments to your project based on this tutorial, but you have 9.0 and I'm CS5 so I'm not sure if you will be able to see my final project.

Gobo Light Tutorial

First I deleted the masks in your Mask comp and added Keying -> Luma Key and changed the threshold to 22.

In comp, I deleted "layer 3 Mask" comp and I added a thin mask to the remaning fractal "mask" layer(vertical mask, few pixels wide) and enabled 3d.

Add a null layer and enable 3D switch. I moved the null to directly behind the fractal mask layer and really far back in Z space, 1510, 501, 3091(numbers work for my project). Parent the null to the fractal mask layer and rotate "mask" layer, for me it was x = -58 y = 0 z = -19

Add adjusment layer and add trapcode shine and add expression to source point: src = thisComp.layer("Null 1"); src.toComp(src.anchorPoint)

Change the shine transfer mode to Normal and Base on to Alpha. I cranked up the boost light to 400. Once you get to this point you can start to move the null around and play with other settings to improve the look. Moving the null farther away in z space will make the lights appear to be straighter up, but will also make them diminish in intensity. This isn't going to ever get every light 100% straight, but i think it's closer than where you were.

I uploaded my work file, not sure if you have a way of opening it. I think I covered all my step.
3885_shineupdated.aep.zip

Also a picture of my final settings:
3887_shinesettings.jpg.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]