Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: day 1 - Thunderbolt 2 speed tests with Maxx Digital 8 bay Thunderbolt 2 drive array

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Neil SmithRe: day 1 - Thunderbolt 2 speed tests with Maxx Digital 8 bay Thunderbolt 2 drive array
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:30:33 am

Been running similar tests all week with a six core nMP directly attached to a Promise Pegasus2 RB 24TB RAID.

Also had a i7 MBP with Thunderbolt2 connection to the nMP through TCP/IP over Thunderbolt Bridge to the Pegasus2 RAID mounting it on the MBP desktop.

Both the nMP and MBP are also attached to an Areca 8GB/s FC Xsan through Atto 8GB/s ThunderLlink boxes but of course throughput of Xsan is limited to 800 MB/s from Thunderbolt1 link on Atto boxes.

With the nMP in DAS mode to the Pegasus2 R8 I'm getting 1123 MB/s in WRITE speed and 928 READ speed using the AJA DiskWhack Test set to 2K and 16 GB file size.

With the MBP in Thunderbolt2 Bridge mode to the nMP/Pegasus2 I'm getting 808 MB/s WRITE speed and 363 MB/s READ speed.

Attached is a screen grab showing both BMD and AJA speed tests of the nMP in DAS mode to the Pegasus2 R8:

Attached is a screen grab showing both BMD and AJA speed tests of the MBP in Thunderbolt2 Bridge mode to the nMP/Pegasus2 R8:

Here's some photos taken with iPad showing set up:

However, using the same tool that Apple uses to test drive performance I was actually getting over 1200 MB/s WRITE speed and 1300 READ speed from the Pegasus2 in RAID0 DAS mode, so obviously the different disk speed tests are measuring different things.

The Promise support guys have published an interesting KB on their website that explains the disk caching optimization we went through to achieve the best results:

http://kb.promise.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10394.aspx

Individual disk speed is but one factor in overall sustained throughput using Thunderbolt 2 architecture ... number of spindles, efficiency of RAID controller's read-ahead cache and latency in TCP/IP over Tbolt2 bridging are all factors to take into account in overall system performance. Saturating the Tbolt2 pipeline requires that everything be firing on max throughput - 6 core and 12 core nMPs are great for CPU intensive tasks but maximizing Tbolt2 data I/O needs careful tweaking of the entire pipeline.

We'll be demonstrating the new Mac Pros in DAS and Xsan mode at the Larry Jordan FCP X event on January 14th in Burbank and also at our X Pro monthly meeting on Saturday Jan 18th on The Lot in West Hollywood. We'll also be presenting nMP, FCP X 10.1 and Xsan 3 at the January LACPUG meeting.

I've put together a short presentation that covers the different storage options now available using the nMPs in DAS, NAS and SAN configurations - details on our website:

http://www.lumaforge.com/index.html

Any questions, let me know or come along to one of the events.

Cheers and all the best for 2014.
Neil

Neil Smith
CEO
LumaForge LLC
faster storage faster finishing
323-850-3550
http://www.lumaforge.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread: