Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Shared storage considerations, Fiber Channel, 10GbE or Thunderbolt?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rahasiaja KitasmuaRe: Shared storage considerations, Fiber Channel, 10GbE or Thunderbolt?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:04:17 am

[Bob Zelin] "REPLY -
NAS support .afp, .smb, and .nfs. 10GbE with SFP+ fibre transceivers are currently more popular and more readily available. Cat6A is not as widely available from many manufacturers, and there are less switch companies that make RJ45 CAT6A swithes - specifically, right now, the only RJ45 Cat6A switches come from Small Tree, Interface Masters and Arista Networks - that's it. For SFP+ Fibre 10g switches, there are LOTS of companies that make these.
The Cat6A switches cost a LOT more money - around $15,000 US. One day these prices will drop - today is not that day."

Yeah it is still crazy expensive..

"REPLY - you can get this right now from many companies, using standard protocols, using Linux, OS X or Windows 2008 Server depending on what brand you choose. No aggrigation - just direct connect 10gig from server to client.

But it's also their software & filesystem that we're interested in, not merely the networking tech they build it in.. :)

REPLY - my advice is that you find a company that will give you support in Indonesia. Many US companies do not have support in Indonesia. I would be happy to pitch my system, as we can do direct connect 10gig ethernet, but I can't support you properly, unless you consider long distance remote access the kind of support that you find acceptable.

Creative Cow shows lots and lots of companies that sell shared storage - almost all are excellent. I do not know who can support you in Indonesia, except for remote support over the internet."

Now worries, appreciated it, Bob.. Thanks for taking the time.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]