Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Will and SAN built for AVID also work with FCP 7 and Premiere Pro

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob ZelinRe: Will and SAN built for AVID also work with FCP 7 and Premiere Pro
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:41:41 pm

Steve writes -
"Avid works just fine with a straight up NAS provided you aren't capturing or rendering to the shared storage during the working day"

REPLY -
this in my opinion is pretty unrealistic for normal operations. A fellow on this forum - Eugeny - "confronted" Walter Biscardi on his statements about operation with AVID on his shared storage system. Eugeny explained that if a seperate volume was kept for each editor, where each editor kept his project files and render files on a seperate volume, then everyone could work as they normally do - but if this rule was ignored, and saving, capturing and rendering was done during an edit session, the AVID database would rescan over and over again.

this is the trick that companies like Studio Network Solutions and Command Soft Fibre Jet do - volume based systems, where editors are assigned a seperate workspace, and a seperate volume. Any editor can read, but only one editor may write to a specific volume. To tell an editor "don't render out any files during the day while you are working on your AVID", is pretty unrealistic, in my opinion.

I do not know what Tiger Technology "AVID Virtualization" does for the MetaSAN product, but Facilis and EditShare have figured out how to get around this issue, while companies like Studio Network Solutions work with AVID ONLY because they are VOLUME based, preventing editors from a common render area - this avoids the rescanning of the media database.

I am not saying that you are wrong - I am just saying that I see that most editors would refuse to abide by these rules and restrictions.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+2
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]