Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Avid Media Composer and sharing media on a SAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob ZelinRe: Avid Media Composer and sharing media on a SAN
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:45:25 am

Eugeny,
I am reading all of your recent posts with great interest, including your replies to Walter Biscardi on his testing with MC6. I understand that you are not seeing a lot of this with Win systems.

You state -

"If .mdb file changes, another system starts scanning (which I must say may last forever depending on how much media you have in Avid MediaFiles folder). But after the scan is complete, that newly ingested or imporetd media becomes online for the second editing station. But .mdb changes also if you render(which means creating media) to the volume it resides on. And that makes collaborative work an endless scanning.

Or you need to render to the separate volume and avoid ingesting (or importing) during the editing session."

Now, I do not have access to multiple MC6 systems, so I am reading all of this with great interest. Are you saying that if you let the second and third MC client system scan the shared volume, once the scan is complete, you will be able to read all the media without giving anyone "Media Offline " ?
And are you saying that if I create separate volumes for rendering for each editor (easy to accomplish), while multiple editors use this media from the common shared volume to edit with, I will be able to work without issue ?

As you can imagine, when multiple editors work, they need to ingest (or import) because they are on different jobs. But if they are on the SAME shared volume, this is unavoidable. So how would you get around this (without creating a volume based system - one volume per editor) ?

I look forward to your reply.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]