Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Avid Media Composer and sharing media on a SAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dustin ParsonsRe: Avid Media Composer and sharing media on a SAN
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 12:06:56 am

[David Parker] "The problem is, like everyone else in post, I are not sure what happens after FCP7, but I am not ready to commit to Avid. However I do need a SAN now, (on FCP7) and so I am looking for the solution that works now, and will work with either Premier or Avid later. The reason I am looking at features first, is, I don't need full blown project sharing, I just need all stations accessing the same media. I am looking for the simplest way to do that (under the KISS principle, as well as for value). Yes I could get an ISIS 5000, and I am perfectly willing to do that, but I suspect it is overkill for what I want, and therefore fails on the value metric."

I'm in the exact same position – FCP7 user that doesn't need project sharing, just access to media files – but I'm looking into transition to Avid so I could potentially need a system that Avid can work with too.

[James McKenna] "The problem with AMA linking is that Avid strongly suggests transcoding. The AMA workflow is fine for basic assembly, but it's likely you won't be happy long-term with the performance of an AMA timeline, regardless of the storage system."

What if I only worked with DVCPRO HD and Apple ProRes files after they had been transcoded/ingested from P2 cards? Or are you saying AMA just doesn't work well at all despite the codec? I feel like if AMA worked well with DVCPRO HD files then I'd be fine setting up any kind of SAN, but I'm probably wrong about this... right?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]