Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Best way to archive my P2 HD footage

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric HansenRe: Best way to archive my P2 HD footage
by on May 5, 2011 at 12:05:04 am

[Ben Watson] "Please don't stone - I've been using Blu-ray burner. Cost has come down, and with 50 gb (double sided) of storage, it's a pretty cost effective solution. I'm not archiving for decades, just a year or two at most, so it works pretty well for us. Most of my projects will fit on a couple discs or even one depending on the amount of shooting..."

no stone throwing here. archiving to Blu-Ray can work great. here are the 4 main reasons why i don't use it:

1. not sure how long the discs will last. i have "archive quality" CD-Rs that are no longer readable.
2. i'm often working with files that are bigger than the discs. how does the app you use handle "spanning"?
3. the drives are achingly slow
4. i would need quite a few spindles to archive just my own personal projects. so their footprint is bigger than LTO tapes of equivalent TBs

but if these things are not a concern for you, and they probably aren't, then archiving to BD is awesome. i have been thinking about moving my personal projects from LTO to BD, just so i don't need to use my office LTO drives. but these are a backup to bare hard drives on my shelf, so i only need to access them if my bare hard drives go down. LTO tapes take up less space in my safe deposit box than BDs would.

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]