Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex GeroulaitisRe: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:10:41 pm

Thanks for the answers Rick.

[Rick Sebeck] "Reliability is key - which is why I'm looking for recommendations/real life stories of the difference between the OCW and the sonnet enclosures - since the price for each is so different."

Haven't worked with either and like neither because of cheap appearances and difficulties and compromises inherent in making a decent 4-bay RAID5 box on a budget.

The one box I do like (worked with the manufacturer for over 12 years) - does have good quality but I know little of its RAID functionality. It also needs a refresh to SATA/600 and USB 3.0.

(Do any 1-st tier vendors have 4-bay RAID5 eSATA boxes? NAS - yes, but how about eSATA/USB/FW?)

There is also an issue of connectivity: 4 drives can potentially have a combined throughput of close to 600MB/s, and using SATA/300, USB 2.0 or FW800 doesn't do it justice. USB 3.0 and SATA/600 are more appropriate.

Then there is a question of what happens when the drive fails. How easy and reliable is the box' volume rebuild procedure and how long does it take? This really is a key question - so I'd hold off buying one until you have a good answer to that.

Generally, it's hard to trust a small and inexpensive RAID5 box for quality of construction and components inside, and thus, ultimately for data integrity. Even half-decent RAID5 controllers aren't cheap - and you aren't going to find one in an el-cheapo 4-bay RAID5 box.

See if you can find documentation on how to rebuild a RAID5 volume after a drive failure: if it's well documented and clear - you may have a winner. If not, I'd look into using dual-drive RAID1 boxes.

HTH.

Alex (DV411)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]