Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob ZelinRe: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 9:08:23 pm

Hi Rick -
as you know, a SAN does not cost $60,000 anymore. Your Final Share system was under $20,000.

But I know what you want - you want what everyone wants - to spend zero money. Well, this is your answer. But a single 3TB Hitachi drive and stick it in each MAC computer. You will have a ton of storage, and with rates over 120MB/sec per drive, you will have no issue doing ProRes422HQ with your internal disk drive. Look how much money I just saved you.

Being associated with Final Share, which is the cheapest shared storage system in the world, I know that NOTHING is cheap enough, unless it's free (or costs 200 bucks). No, you can't do shared storage for 200 bucks, or 600 bucks, or even $1500 bucks.

Just get some internal drives, (you can even get them from OWC) and go to work. Those SATA card/external box combinations from OWC really suck compared to any professional product. Save your money - but the internal drives, and call it a day. Come back when you can buy a real car.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]