Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rick SebeckRe: I hate tech refreshes this close to NAB
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:48:45 pm

I'll take em one at a time....

Capacity. As I mentioned we build capacity based on the project. Ranging from 1TB-6TB per project, we currently mirror two 2TB drives for projects, and stripe two 2TB drives for media (speed). This is why we want to go RAID 5 - 4 2TB drives for 6TB of redundant/ fast enough space. Each project we buy 4 2TB WD drives at $150/drive - bill the client $600 for drive/archive/ect. Piggy bank a couple small jobs together so they don't eat the entire cost.

Performance. We work mainly in Proress 422 HD. Uncompressed 10bit would be nice - but not crucial at this time. Using the SATA connection with 4 drives RAID 5 we should be fine.

Connectivity. We have Sata in the machines - but having FW is nice as well. If you mean sharing, it would be just a quick apple share to transfer files off occasionally. We don't need shared storage.

Reliability is key - which is why I'm looking for recommendations/real life stories of the difference between the OCW and the sonnet enclosures - since the price for each is so different.

Support. We're pretty tech heavy guys so we can handle the day to day operations - but if the systems are failing we'd obviously like some tech support.

Warranty. OWC has two prices for their enclosures- the basic is a 2 year support, the professional is 5 year. Due to Moores law - I don't expect equipment to last more than 3 years.

Budget. Pricing out 4TB enclosures - OWC's are $799 and the Sonnet are $1595 If you jump to an 8 drive at Sonnet (if I really need the speed for uncompressed it is $3995

SO again - trying to spend as little as possible so I can save up for a $60k SAN - I'm leaning towards the OWC - but I'm afraid of the expression "you get what you pay for" so the question was....

Does anyone have any real world stories of either of these products. The only negative I heard about the OWC enclosures was that with FW800 connections the speed is only 40MB write. But I plan on using the Sata connections - so I should be good - again for proress422 HD

Editor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]