Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Terrablock upgrades or jump ship to MetaSAN?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nate CooperRe: Terrablock upgrades or jump ship to MetaSAN?
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:13:37 pm

First off, that's great that you've had the system up and running 5 years and have been happy with it. Always a good thing to hear.

One thing I would note, I haven't seen many users out there succesfully running the file locking in Terrablock yet. If someone has seen otherwise, please jump in. From my understanding they tried to release it last year, it fell on it's face and now the GigE side of File Locking is working, but the fibre side still needs some patches. Again, if anyone has heard different please chime in, the last time I looked into this was 2 months ago.

As far as metasan goes, it can work great and can be a headache. As with most things, it depends on how you set it up. I assume you would use the Xserve as the metadata server. They say you don't "need" one, but in my experience it is definitely good to have. If you don't have a dedicated metadata server for metasan, you can easily get into a fixable yet annoying circumstance where you need to do a strange boot up sequence to get your media back online. Other than that, it's a pretty nice little software for sharing and a great alternative to Xsan.

What exactly doesn't work for your volume based workflow with CatDV? Have you talked to anyone at Squarebox about it? I've seen many users be very happy with CatDV in volume locking SANs.

Nate Cooper
nate.cooper@promax.com
office: 949.861.2725
cell: 949.375.2738

I support:
Xsan
MXFserver
Promax ShareMAX
EVO/SANmp
EditShare
MetaSAN
Small Tree