Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Re: Atto R380 & PCI Fan noise

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Helmut KoblerRe: Atto R380 & PCI Fan noise
by on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:49:35 pm

Hey, I have an R380 card, and had a similar problem when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. My Mac Pro under Leopard was very quiet, but when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, the PS fan in the Mac ran at about 1500rpm, instead of half that speed on Leopard. It took a while to figure it out, and I got help from the guys at Sonnet (I have a DX800 RAID). Here's the first email where they identified the problem, followed by the email describing how to fix the problem (and I did indeed fix it). Here's the first email:

----------------------
Helmut,

We don't really need to see the video as you've discovered a bug that ATTO didn't know about. My contact at ATTO got back to me about 30 minutes ago just before he was leaving for the day and explained what was going on. I just haven't had a chance to send you an email about it. The ATTO software installs a service that revs the fans up a bit to compensate for the increased heat folks found in G5 machines. This was adversely affecting the ATTO card in those machines. They discovered a hardware fix for this heating problem so that service was no longer needed. ATTO's software is supposed to remove it so the fans will go back to normal operation. For some reason, that service wasn't removed in your machine. My guy at ATTO is waiting for an explanation of how to remove it from the software engineer. It will probably involve deleting a plist file of some sort. He said he'll try to get that to me tomorrow. He wanted to call me today to let us know that something was being done.

So you've discovered a bug and hopefully ATTO will send me a fix tomorrow which I will pass along to you. It's strange that yours has been the only report of increased fan noise. Or at least the only report I can remember.

Neal
Sonnet Customer Service
---------------------------------

Now here's the second email which I followed and solved the problem......

---------------------------
Helmut,

Left a message for my contact and had this email waiting for me this morning:

Have him delete the file /usr/sbin/fan-controllerd

He may need to be root to do this.

The plist item is /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.attotech.fan-controllerd.plist

So delete both of the above and that should restore your fans back to normal operation. Email me back if you are having any issues with the above.

Neal
Sonnet Customer Service
-----------------------------

Hope this helps!

-H

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter