Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: hpx 300 help!

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff ReganRe: hpx 300 help!
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:42:09 pm

Phil,

I haven't spent enough time with the HPX300 to answer that question. I like the 1/2" sensor size of the EX cameras, prefer the 300 ergonomics and codec. When I shoot with 1/3" cameras, the first thing I want to add is a 35mm DOF adapter. Of course I often use a 35mm adapter on my EX1 as well, but there is a shallower DOF and better light sensitivity with the 1/2" sensor.

I generally prefer the tonality and colorimetry of Panasonic cameras, but with a manually tweaked scene file, the EX1 can look very nice. The EX1 is very impressive for light sensitivity and low noise. I've never seen the codec break up in challenging motion situations, I do have CMOS artifact concerns about both cameras. The EX1 is unusable hand held without shouldermount/rods/handles. XDCAM EX codec looks pretty bad in 1080/60i due to 4:2:0, but good in progressive modes.

I like the fact that Panasonic allows its best codec, AVC-Intra 100, to be used with the 300, whereas the Sony and JVC price point competitors are constrained by low bit rate, Long GOP, 8-bit, 4:2:0 to protect the more expensive cameras(in the case of Sony). Even Sony's new 350 XDCAM EX 2/3" camera for $20K is XDCAM EX only vs. the HPX300 at $8K with 10-bit, higher bit rate, I-Frame, 10-bit codec, same as the HPX2700 and 3700 high end P2 Varicams.

The 300 can use other Panasonic high end accessories, such as the RC10 and EC4 paint boxes(just got the new EC4 today), studio config. CCU's, same P2 cards, readers, etc. The EX3 does allow the use of a Sony RMB-150 paint box, unlike the EX1. Not sure about the JVC, I know they had a CCU for the HD250, but it was SD out only.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]