Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Another inquiry for Jan

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

cowcowcowcowcow
Jan Crittenden LivingstonRe: Another inquiry for Jan
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 12:55:36 pm

[Jeff Brown] "Take this with a grain of salt: Jan is a Panasonic employee, after all. I do love Panny gear, but good long GOP will be better than bad intraframe. Shouldn't be hard to imagine that. May not be the case in current product offerings, but such a sweeping statement just won't hold in all cases."

Actually I can prove it in all cases, if the camera is moving. I am a product manager at Panasonic and it is part of my job to understand the impact of compression of the output of a signal. I have been a party to many compression breaking tests and I have seen them all fail, but the ones that fail first are the long GOP codecs.

And BTW, the question was adressed to me(notice the title of the thread) in the first place and since I am familiar with both of these cameras, I responded as I see the two cameras working and fitting into the scheme of what is out there. The DVCPRO HD codec will be more robust that the long GOP of AVCHD, and AVCHD is more robust than HDV. Even Sony says this, they equate 9mbs level of AVCHD to HDV. So yes while I am a Panasonic employee, I do try to give the most honest answer that 35 years in this industry can muster.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS