Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: P2 Archiving problem

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron ShookRe: P2 Archiving problem
by on Feb 9, 2006 at 12:05:44 am

Jan,

[Jan Crittenden Livingston] "My most favorite at this point in time is DLT/LTV tape storage solutions, data Storage tape. The cheaper they are the slower, but you can get a Dell for about $2250 and a about $50 for 200gigs. This will give you slightly faster than real time on HD and about 2X on DVCPRO50."

When you first mentioned this to me in person several months ago, I admit that I sort of poo-pooed it in my mind. I've since researched it, and yeah, it looks like the way to go until holographic optical becomes readily available at prosumer prices which may take another 2 years, I'm guessing.

The LTO units are by far the best combination of capacity, speed and price over DLT and others. BTW the Dell LTO2 unit you mention actually sells for less than $1700 and their LTO3 unit (400 GB native capacity) is 3 times the speed (3X realtime for HD and 6X for 50) for less than $3500. Media cost for either unit is around 25 cents/GB. Dell's pricing on these is as good as anyone's. These should hold the fort for small outfits until Holographic.

The Dell connection:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/tapeb_sing?c=us&cs=04...

Regards,

Ron Shook

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]