Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Attn.: Jan C. - AJ-SPC700 Questions

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter DeCrescenzoRe: Attn.: Jan C. - AJ-SPC700 Questions
by on Apr 26, 2005 at 11:36:52 pm

[jeremiah black] "... And I think the SDX-900 with a good lens looks the best of any footage I've worked with."

Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about the AJ-SDX-900, too. I believe the AJ-SPX800 performs very similarly to the 900, but records onto P2 instead of tape.

Unfortunately, for probably quite some time the closest I'll get to using either of these cams will be by occasionally renting them -- not owning them.

Meanwhile, I just got a bit of good news. My client -- the one who has been the primary motivation for my investigating a better-quality video cam (compared to my Sony DSR-250) and who actually needs 24p and the optical characteristics of 2/3" lenses & CCDs, genlock & TC I/O and so forth -- informs me their editing system is an uncompressed SD FCP system.

So, at least in regards to this client (who accounts for a good percentage of my income), the Sony DSR-450WS with its funky 24p standard 2:3 pulldown feature may be OK. If I understand what Graeme & Jan have indicated in this thread, Sony's dumb*ss method of handling 24p doesn't result in quality loss in an uncompressed editing environment.

Of course, this bit of news doesn't address the somewhat diminished usefulness of 24p tapes I might shoot with this Sony cam for _other_ clients, depending on their post path. Grrrr ... :(

And looping back to the original subject of this thread: If the new $13K USD Panasonic AJ-SPC700 2/3" SD P2 cam had 24p (advanced mode of course) built-in or available as an upgrade, I'd be happier. The AJ-SPC700 is much less expensive than the $18K Sony DSR-450WS, and I'd primarily record the AJ-SPC700's output via Firewire to a Sony GV-D1000 "DV walkman" portable recorder. Alas, Panasonic wants folks to spend an additional $7,000 USD more to get 24p in the AJ-SPX800. So, grrrr, again. 8|

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]