Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: The second elephant in the room

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin DooleyRe: The second elephant in the room
by on Apr 19, 2005 at 4:06:44 am

Hey Chris,

I think you're confusion comes from the fact that DVCPRO HD is 100 mbs, which is 100 mega BITS per second... 8 bits to a byte and you're looking at only 12.5 mega BYTES per second (MBs), which is well within the range of very nearly all HDD's on the market these days. And that's only for the full rez/frame rate of 720p/60 or 1080i/60.

Also, as for the tape drive, Jan (from Panasonic) and many others have commented both here and at DVINFO.net, that the tape materials and heads required to read/record DVCPRO 50 and HD are both too expensive and too large to write to Mini DV tape in a cam this size. In fact, I think I've seen it that the 16 pairs of heads required to write DVCPRO HD to tape are around $6K cost for Panasonic...

Kevin Dooley
Director of Video Services
Imago Dei Media Group, Inc.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]