Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC HVX - HPX:Panasonic HVX - HPX SeriesPanasonic VaricamPanasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: I'm excited about P2, or maybe not, yes I am, or I don't know.........

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Luis CaffesseRe: I'm excited about P2, or maybe not, yes I am, or I don't know.........
by on Apr 17, 2005 at 3:14:32 pm

[Peter DeCrescenzo] "the big difference between my example and the one you describe is that in a P2-style production workflow, the original recording on a P2 card is usually going to get destroyed (erased) soon after only one or two copies of it are made."

I guess we're discussing symantics at this point.
I don't see it as "copying" the files, or "erasing" the card.
This is digital information, so the files put on the hard drive are identical to the ones on the P2 card, so I see it as simply moving the files from the P2 card to the hard drive.

Is there a danger that if they are moved incorrectly that you could lose all your files? Yes, of course there is. Just like if a camera loader removes the film from the mag incorrectly, there is a chance of losing all your film.

I think you're running roughly the same risk in either case.

I apologize for repeating it here, but I guess I'll continue to do so every time I see someone else say something like, essentilly, "Don't worry, just let the PA deal with it."

I'm not suggesting that we just look for a PA who doesn't happen to be busy at that moment, but on the other hand I don't think this is a job that requires a PhD and 20 years experience.

Like I mentioned before, it seems to be the equivalent job of a camera loader. Which, while a bit 'higher' position in general, is still the lowest position in the camera department. If Stanley Kubrick could trust a camera loader with changing out the film mags on the set of 2001.... I think I can find a competant person to move the files off my P2 cards without holding up production or going over budget.

But, I suppose in the end it all depends on how much risk (or perceived risk) each person is comfortable with.
As you said:

everyone gets to choose.

Can you believe this is the last day we won't know every detail there is to know?
:)

Luis Caffesse
Studio 3 Productions, Inc.
Austin, Texas

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy