Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Re: Fireworks

COW Forums : Digital Photography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nick GriffinRe: Fireworks
by on Jul 3, 2005 at 11:42:29 pm

Start by framing the scene. For me this would be going out at twilight and, hopefully with some advance information, knowing where the show will be. Go wide and don't be afraid the leave trees or other framing devices in the shot.

I'm not familiar with the D30, but assuming that it doesn't have mirror lock-up, when it's time to shoot, trip the shutter in "bulb" mode with a black card covering the lens -- the blacker the better, try black velvet covering a piece of cardstock. Wipe the card away from the lens in the same direction from which you will return it. In other words, "open" your artificial shutter by moving it off the right and returning it from the left side. Try the duration of 10 - 15 - 20 sec. (Or, the duration of the volley.)

Not knowing how far you will be away from the fireworks, it's impossible to guess at the best exposure. For starters try ISO 200 and an f stop of 8. If the show is long enough, bracket lower (lower ISO or more F-stop) from there. Better still, bring a laptop so you can view the first few exposures and adjust from there. Failing that, shoot "Raw" so you can can later fine tune to a more accurate exposure -- at least within the range of adjustment you can make to a raw file.

But then again, what do I know? I've never shot fireworks and these are simply my best guesses. Good luck!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Fireworks by Doug Lewis on Jul 3, 2005 at 10:06:19 pm
    • Re: Fireworks by Nick Griffin on Jul 3, 2005 at 11:42:29 pm
    • Re: Fireworks by Franklin McMahon on Jul 4, 2005 at 8:38:12 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]