Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE XSAN:HomeXsan ForumSAN TutorialsSAN Forum

Re: Promise Vtrak Eclass Speeds over XSAN

COW Forums : Apple Xsan

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jordan WoodsRe: Promise Vtrak Eclass Speeds over XSAN
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:56:23 pm

I would be wiling to bet you need to "tweak" your xsan configuration. Try a bunch of different block sizes and stripe breadths and see what you get. I haven't seen what Promise has released in terms of optimal XSAN settings. I have seen references that they go by the old Apple standards set by the Xserve RAIDs which was a 16k block size and 64 stripes, but you should verify that yourself and see what you can achieve with different settings. Changes in these settings make a HUGE difference in the performance of the SAN, even more so than just RAID settings, though I wouldn't rule that out either. (note, these changes ARE destructive)

give us some feedback on what you are seeing when you alter your settings. oh.. and, no, you don't need a 4 port card, you'll be fine with 2. 2x 4gig ports can theoretically hit 800MB/s total.

-Jordan

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]