Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
VIDEO HOSTING:Demo ReelsDemo Reels ForumUpload Your Demo ReelPromote Your Service or BusinessServices

y tu?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike_Sy tu?
by on Mar 31, 2007 at 7:53:05 pm

Wow, Heather. I'm at a loss how to respond appropriately.

You obviously are gifted and determined .. which way to steer yourself, career-wise, is such a personal thing. To my taste, you are really strong when doing quirky, artsy, personal stuff - love it. Is there a career / enough money in that line of work for you ? Wish I knew. From the look of your work, it would seem there might be a market in indie film / music / show title sequences / maybe even ads - distinctive work sells. Your personal piece with the adobe award certainly hints at possibilities for you in the film as art, gallery arena. Corporate - I wasn't meaning to steer you that way, though that's where most of my income comes from. There's a little more tendency to the group / conformist experience, I think - but it can pay. Is that a good trade-off ..? I'm not really sure ...

I hope you can keep going with the stuff you like, that stands out - and find a good market for it, to get the regularity of work you are looking for. With video distribution changing so fast, and the imminent arrival en masse of corporates and advertisers in "user-space" with (all too often clumsy and heavy-handed) attempts at viral marketing with video (or Flash clips - or absolutely anything fresh that might grip us as viewers) it might be that there's room for something fresh and original - space for a talent like yours. (On the flipside of that, some of the briefs for would-be virals that have come through here are horrifyingly awful!)

I wouldn't be too down on your teachers - if they knew much, they'd probably have passed it on. You seem to have emerged with a pile of talent and undimmed enthusiasm, so it could have been worse! These are such personal- judgement things, cross-cut by the input of what sells / gets a response ... so hard for anyone really to "know anything" - minor nod to William Goldman there. Sometimes it's tempting to look for mentors, for those magical people who know stuff on a deeper level and might enlighten us ... but I'm starting to think that's a mirage, there's only us humans down here, so we might as well just get by however we can / how it suits us ..

All best

Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]