Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

learn by analyzing a motion graphics video: New Vimeo Spot

COW Forums : Apple Motion

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

federico bettalearn by analyzing a motion graphics video: New Vimeo Spot
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:56:00 pm

Hello,
In these days I'm studing some tutorials about motion graphics, and I was looking for a good example to improve my competence.
I've found in the new Vimeo Spot both elegant, essential, clear and articulated, excellent video to study. (http://tinyurl.com/d84nvbw)
To understand how it's been done, I decided to analyze it frame by frame (more or less :)
Hoping my work will help someone that is traing to refine on his own motion graphics videos. So I post my work.

I've analyzed the video with my laptop speakers... so sorry for the inaccuracies (and please sorry for english too... this is also one of my english improving lessons ;)
Anyway.
I considered video and soundtrack timing.
I devided video track in content and camera movement. And the (more complex) soundtrack in 5 single tracks: Voice Off, Sound, rhythm, melody and effects.
Sound stratifications shows very well how these elegant shorts are done.
I post a pdf file here (http://tinyurl.com/7r8cggg). It's a grid with timing (in seconds, so not so precise) and columns, and shows all my work.
The terms to describe the video are both technical and notional: p.e. I used "go closer" when the subject in the screen is going bigger, and I used swosh or swish or zing tring to remember how sound designers named their effects. For the musical terms... I apologize)

Ok, carry on.
Summarily, in the video every one second something happens: one or more record in the above-mentioned columns changes.
And so, casting a glance to the pdf scheme, it is clear that "anything is not changing alone", or rather: when something happens in a column, something else is changing in other one.
Semiotically there is a signal's metaphoric redundancy. That is every event is a summatory of events (metaphorically binded) cooperating to give to the watcher determined impressions.
With methaphorical bond, I mean the magical affinity that I see in the two follow chains of words:
1) high / good / fast / colored / bright / open / clean / polyphonic /...
2) Low /negative /slow /desaturated / dark /close/ distort / drone /...

(if someone know who studied this affinity please tell me something)
Obviously are only a metaphorical meaning, but in a video you can find:
The subject starts to laugh, the photography and video content become colored, a backwards dolly open on a bigger subject. In the same moment there is an open swash while the rhythm's timbre changing from distorted to clean and the melody leaves his drone feeling becaming poliphonic!
Of course is an exaggerated example (and you doesn't find in the vimeo video) but the concept counts.

Anyway. I hope my work will be helpfull for someone. I think it may be used to compare a work project to his final object. And to understand what we need to create flowing and captivating videos.
Every comments is appreciated.
Thanks a million to all ng!

Federico

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]