Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Changing careers to video editing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric NaylorChanging careers to video editing
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 1:35:07 pm

Hi Group,

I've done some research and found there are many different ways to making a career as an editor. But, I would love to get some perspective from people who are actually in the business.

Here's my background:

30 yrs old. Live in NY. BA in English Writing. Worked at various companies outside of the entertainment industry for the past 4 years. I've made a few short films that I self-financed and worked on a few student films as an actor and PA. My editing experience is limited to the short films I made and oddly enough, a couple of holiday videos I helped make at the companies I worked for. I was recently laid off and I'm at sort of a crossroads.

Here are my concerns and thoughts:

1. I could go back to school, preferably an art school like SVA. But as you know, it's expensive and I'll also be taking classes not related to editing.
2. I could attend an editing workshop to help build up a reel and skills. The Manhattan Editing Workshop looked promising, but I would love if any of you had some feedback.
3. I could buy an editing workstation and build up my reel through low-paying / free freelance gigs.

Option 2 seems to make the most sense to me.

The Reel:

As I mentioned, I have a few short films completed and a bunch of footage from unfinished projects. The quality of these projects are amateur. Would this amateur quality affect the perception of my reel even though, for arguments sake, it's been edited wonderfully.

Thank you for all your help.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]