Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: New Independent Marketing Executive Program for Videographers

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ronald LindeboomRe: New Independent Marketing Executive Program for Videographers
by on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:55:46 pm

From reading you, Jonathan, it is pretty clear to me that you think that this is far easier than it is. Over the last 20 years or so, I have had a couple of people come in talking like you and telling me how they are an experienced salesperson and can make me money.

Both blanked.

Oh, they were experienced salespeople, no doubt. But what they didn't know was the nature of this industry and the fact that (by your own admission you are not dealing with major corporations) small local businesses are pitched time after time by local TV stations and cable companies. These TV stations and cable companies will do the production work for free to get the ad buy.

So it's not as easy as you imply to get these small businesses to bite on $6,000 worth of production and "then just throw another $1200 on top" because "they don't know what this stuff costs." Yes they do. It costs them nothing, most times.

The exception to that rule is someone who builds a relationship with a client and proves their value enough to get the money. And the value I am talking about is not sales ability and being able to close a deal.

This is not a commodity item and people are not going to line up like you think they are going to. There are many people who get into this industry because they think it's going to be a fun job. The reality is, this is not an easy job and it is highly competitive. Added to the normal day to day competition between production shops, are the local TV and cable outlets that work really cheap. They have feet on the ground and when their salespeople burn out they throw a fresh face at the same business owners, who then get the same pitch over and over every time a new person joins the sales team.

I apologize in advance if this seems rude but I think that yours are the machinations of someone who thinks they have found a good idea. Unfortunately it is a formula many of us have seen and heard over and over again in the last 20 years. There are all kinds of versions of this story that I have heard over the years, yet not once have I heard of it working for any of the people that I know here.

But you are welcome to try...

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]