Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:09:47 pm

Being from Chicago, I guess I should also point out that there are other factors that may be at play. Sometimes, favors are traded, you can call it baksheesh, you can call it a referral, you can call it a finder's fee, call it a commission, or call it buying a guy a lunch. Usually if working with some guy gains you another new paying contact, it is only neighborly to thank that person in some formal or informal way. The rental place where I used to cut my freelance work, long ago, would often give my name out as a referral to other people who needed camerawork. I noticed that, and so the place that referred me for the camera work was where I would bring all my editing business, such as it was in those meager days. My way of saying "thanks".

Of course, this stuff is all a matter of degree, sometimes you do favors for people with no ulterior motive at all, just because you like them or you want to help them, and I don't think it is formally written down anywhere. It's just customary practice some places, more customary in others, maybe. I personally never expect it, plus it's banned in all forms where I work, for good reason. Always of course, your conscience and ethics should have the final say on what is appropriate in these exchanges, and if you have specific policies, then that overrides all. If you feel bad or wierd about it, that's a good sign something is not right. Probably in this guy's situation, taking her out to lunch as an appreciation for the contact, and telling her about it right away, might have prevented things from going south quite so fast.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]