Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 3:39:32 pm

The short little job came after the big job was finished. You didn't go seeking out the new job, they came to you. You are a freelance editor. You had no formal agreements to the contrary. I move these pieces around and they fit together in such a way that suggests to me that you technically did no wrong. Technically. From an interpersonal relationships aspect I think you should have said *something* to the first client, if only along the lines of how the PBS client has contacted you back for an unrelated job. Your "friend" has no claim on you as far as I can see. If you want to humor them and sign the non-compete, you can tell yourself it's likely unenforceable.

Really, what your friend is mad about is that they can't add on their surcharge for doing nothing to your charge for actually doing the work. You've exposed them as basically useless, and this will cost them money in the future.

While I understand where Mads is coming from, a freelancer who can't free-lance is going to go out of business. By nature they have to be free to work wherever the work is. If the "friend" wants to put you on retainer or salary, then they can expect to dictate whom else you do jobs for. And you shouldn't be doing a job for PBS while you're still working on another PBS job with this friend. A huge no-no is to even discuss possible work with your friend's client during the current job, that is s huge breach of trust, etiquette, and professional protocol. In that kind of case I would agree 100 percent with Mads' view. But I don't get that kind of vibe from your description of this incident.

Your post suggests that the friends' job is done, and that's why I think it's a case of no harm, no foul. It was unrelated work for the same client. The friend introduced you to them. They reached out to you. Looking down the road, this is a relationship that could work positively both ways, in that you can refer producing work back to your friend when you deal on editing jobs with this PBS client in the future. Explain diplomatically to the friend that you're willing to do this for them, and maybe they will lighten up. If they don't, well, you have to decide what's best for your career, but by your description, you're not missing much with an "editing manager" who doesn't edit. After all, anybody with a phone and a pulse can call themselves a "producer". If all they do to add value to the program is literally tack on a fee, and contribute nothing, while someone else does the work, I'm not surprised that the PBS person wants to cut out the middle-man.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]