Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott SheriffRe: Freelance Editing + non competition agreement
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:29:52 am

This is you answering your own question.
"My issue is ..... I do not work full time for this woman, maybe I edit 1 or 2 projects a year from her (all low pay). She cannot guarantee me a certain number of hours or wage. PBS said they want to continue working with me. They do not want to work with my boss because she does not actually do any editing and going through her is a waste of time and money."

I wouldn't consider this 'stealing' a client.
Don't even think about signing a non-compete with this person. It's pointless since she isn't an editor, and you are not attempting to take her 'producer' job. I don't really see where you are competing with her. And as Cory pointed out, these are notoriously hard to enforce in many states. If you check into it, you may find out this is a violation of your states labor laws. If a client decides that she isn't providing value, and you are, that is her fault. Not yours. If she doesn't like it, and decides not to offer you a couple of low pay jobs this year it doesn't sound like your missing out on much of anything.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]