Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Freelance Billing Time for a Day and Weekly Rate

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick OrtmanRe: Freelance Billing Time for a Day and Weekly Rate
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:33:31 pm

>>Some people are just too cheap and don't care about anyone but themselves. I have worked for producers that ALWAYS cried poverty, and later found out they owned 2 homes, an airplane, 5 cars, etc etc, they lived very large by not paying me enough to live in a crap apartment.<<

There's a lot of good stuff in this thread, as there is everytime the whole "what should I charge" thing is asked here.

True story: I recently met a producer who was one of the guys who line produced an 80s TV show, shot and delivered for a shoestring, because he was told there just wasn't any money for more. At the end of the first season, he was still in a studio apartment, eating ramen noodles but the Exec producers, writers, and stars were all buying big Hollywood Hills houses and vacation getaway homes.

I used to get all worked up when a potential client would tell me our rates are too high. Then I realized our rates are actually quite good for the area and what we do. In fact, they were too low! A lot of "producer" types habitually demand discounts and think they're not doing their job if they don't guilt you into dropping your pants on price. Some prodcos play that game, having hourly and day rates that are double what they need to make a profit, assuming that they'll be forced to give a half price deal. We don't play like that.

For us, it took time, learning about your market, and, like everyone says, a familiarity with what you're bringing to the table, and a spreadsheet to set rates that are best for you and your clients.

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]