Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Freelance Billing Time for a Day and Weekly Rate

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Freelance Billing Time for a Day and Weekly Rate
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:06:30 pm

The specific dollar amount depends upon your area, local competition, your experience, and capitalization of equipment.

As a (former) freelancer, I never met a producer/client that thought they were paying too little, no matter how cheap your rate was. It is your responsibility to charge enough to live well and demand it from your clients, they will always say it's too much, and that may be true, for them, so what? It's not your place to subsidize someone else's lack of ability to budget a production.

Some people are just too cheap and don't care about anyone but themselves. I have worked for producers that ALWAYS cried poverty, and later found out they owned 2 homes, an airplane, 5 cars, etc etc, they lived very large by not paying me enough to live in a crap apartment.

If you client thinks they have the right to set your rate, ask them if they will provide you with a room in their house, let you eat off their table, pay your health insurance, etc, etc.

Just a few thoughts on a tough dilemma for the "freelancer"

I no longer "frelance" I have my own "company" and my own equipment, but I generally work alone. I do not "work for hire" my clients hire my company, not me, I am not their "temp employee" I provide a service and that has helped me improve my situation.

Regards,

M

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]