Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Avid laying off 120 people

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Terence CurrenRe: Avid laying off 120 people
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 2:09:48 pm

Interesting thread. The big point that many are missing is that in the physical universe, things change.

Remember in the 90s when Apple was "dead"? Doesn't look that way anymore. What happened? Things changed. Jobs came back and was the right guy at the right time. They took a couple risky shots with the iPod / iTunes combo that paid off in spades.

But it wasn't and still isn't FCP that saves Apple. The entire ProApps division could close tomorrow and Apple wouldn't even notice it happened.

And as for service, who helps you at Apple when you can't get video out of your Kona / Decklink to a Panasonic deck?

That's one call at Avid and they do help. Do you pay for that? Yes. But you have to ask what your time is down time is worth. If your time is cheap, then don't worry about it. If on the other hand your time is worth something, then the value added in the Avid proposition is worth something.

I have both FCP and Avid in my company. I can troubleshoot them both but FCP causes me many more hours of downtime trying to handle arcane issues than Avid does.

I have been one of the world's loudest critics of Avid in the past, (just ask Tim Wilson), but I have seen the company turn around in the last few years. I agree that it might be too little too late, but then again... it might not. Remember Apple in the 90s, people were shorting Apple stock like crazy back then. oops!!!!

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy