Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Hammered

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike CohenRe: Hammered
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:18:56 pm

That's what I hated about college radio. It was sold to us as "have your own radio show, even as a Freshman." Then you get your weekly time slot, and you are required to play 50% or more songs from the rotation each hour, plus weather plus news, plus commercials and promos, leaving you little time to talk. And then you had to fill out your playlist so that the record companies would keep sending free records. Yes we used records as well as these newfangled compact discs and of course the ubiquitous cart.

So my roommate and I created a weekly comedy skit called the Yugoslavian Chef, I played a lot of Van Halen and Led Zeppelin and talked a lot. As the years went by I also became the news director, using this newfangled internet thing to get my daily headlines, did some live reporting on campus. I talked so much they gave me warnings, and eventually gave me a joke award for the "DJ who doesn't shut up." Sorry Sonic Youth, but your songs didn't get played on my show. The last straw, when I knew I got their attention, they offered me my own weekly call-in talk show. I guess the talking wasn't so bad after all.

But I turned down the talk show, because I had already found my new passion, the campus tv station. As general manager and news director, I made up my own rulebook and helped the new underclassmen get the most out of their experience, and eventually people started getting anchoring and news photog jobs straight out of college.

If you don't like something, change it. It seems a lot of people don't like what is happening to television at the moment. Eventually, someone is going to change things and the SciFi and History Channel folks can either adapt or perish.

Great thread.

Mike Cohen

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Hammered by Mark Suszko on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:28:05 pm
    • Re: Hammered by walter biscardi on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:17:24 pm
      • Re: Hammered by John Davidson on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:34:12 am
        • Re: Hammered by Ron Lindeboom on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:48:21 am
    • Re: Hammered by grinner hester on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:17:56 am
      • Re: Hammered by Chris Blair on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55:57 am