Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Cable Spots Follow Up

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brendan CootsRe: Cable Spots Follow Up
by on Jan 12, 2008 at 7:35:41 am

This topic looks about beat to death, but I just have to weigh in:

1. I checked your video on both a PC and a Mac, using Safari and Firefox - the video would not play on either platform. The problem, at least in part, is the method/code you have used to embed it into your web page and has nothing to do with your visitor's computers or OS. That method of embedding is no longer supported by any mainstream browser due to a lawsuit a few years back. Read this link to understand what is going wrong and how to fix it. Yes it's an Apple/Quicktime site, but it applies to ALL embedded media including WMV, on ALL platforms.

2. Using WMV is a bad idea for at least one reason - not everyone has or uses Windows Media Player. You say 99% of your customers and potential customers are on Windows, but that is just ridiculous. First of all, there is no way for you to know that. Secondly, you may get 1,000 visits a day from "potential customers" who, being Mac users, leave and never look back simply because they cannot view your work. Unless you own stock in Microsoft or something, why risk alienating customers? There are many options out there, but MPEG-4 based Quicktime files have the widest support of any format, primarily because both Mac and PC users can see them.

3. As someone who came from a web design background, I have to agree that your site could use some work. I know that's not why you came here, but the rates you can get away with charging are directly related to the impression you leave on potential customers. If the design of your site isn't as good as it could be, people will assume your work isn't so hot either (especially if they can't see your demo reel!!!) Don't be offended by people's comments on this, they are only trying to help you succeed. In today's marketplace, people are fully used to and expect to see well designed, easy to navigate, highly polished web sites. Play the game or get left behind, straight up.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]